Return to the BDP Home Page.
Note: To return to the home page from any BDP gallery, click on "Basic DSLR Photography" in the breadcrumb sequence below the menu bar. The breadcrumb sequence is the line that begins with an icon of a home.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Welcome to Basic DSLR Photography (BDP)
Welcome to our Fall Basic Photography class (F104). We’ll be meeting in the Tallwood Annex on Tuesdays from 9:40 to 11:05. This class will have a photo assignment announced each week.
File Naming Convention for BDP
Photo file names have the following format (note there are no “spaces” in the file name):
The “.jpg” suffix is normally appended by your PC’s software.
“PhotoID” is required to distinguish among multiple photos. In the examples above, the first PhotoID is the camera’s file name for the photo, the second PhotoID is the date of the class for which the photo is submitted. The third and fourth PhotoIDs include the capitalized alpha suffix in case more than one photo is submitted for the week’s assignment. You may use these examples of PhotoIDs or any other scheme suiting your workflow.
The file name contains no "spaces." "Hyphens" are used to separate fields. All other characters are alpha-numeric except for the case of your camera system using special characters such as the underscore for file names.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Uploading Instructions for BDP
1. Create a JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg) photo named according to the "File Naming Convention" specified for the gallery. Note: Depending upon your workflow, you may not want to change the name of an original JPEG file; in this case, change the name of a copy of the original file.
2. Enter the "upload link" into your browser to show the OPC’s "Upload to ‘Gallery’ ” window. Note: the upload link to the “Sandbox” gallery used for practicing the upload process is https://olliphotoclubgmu.smugmug.com/upload/9BGgt3/s0. You will receive an upload link to the upload gallery for each session of the course in an email.
3. Drag and drop your photo file(s) into the window using the file manager of your PC:
a. in Microsoft Windows, the file manager is File Explorer;
b. in Apple macOS, the file manager is Finder.
4. Wait till the upload completes and click the "Done" button.
5. View your images at the appropriate OPC gallery. For example, the BDP galleries are maintained at the OPC photo repository (https://olliphotoclubgmu.smugmug.com); the galleries can be found via the following menu sequence:
> OLLI Classes
> Basic DSLR Photography
The practice gallery, for example, is then found at this menu item:
> BDP Sandbox
- - - - - - - - - - - - -